Coachella Unincorporated is searching for a Beat Reporter/Assistant Editor.
Please read description below and submit resume to [email protected] by Dec. 13, 2013.
New America Media/Coachella Unincorporated
Coachella Unincorporated Beat Reporter/Assistant Editor
Hourly – Part-Time (20 hours/wk)
New America Media (NAM), with financial backing from The California Endowment, will be working with youth and community reporters and content producers in the Eastern Coachella Valley, to maintain and grow the hyper local news and information website and media outlet known as Coachella Unincorporated for the purpose amplifying the voices of Eastern Coachella Valley residents, shining a light on health disparities that exist within their community and having a say in how the community is seen and perceived by those outside of it. With the help of New America Media, their stories will be distributed and made visible to the wider community via online and/or traditional outlets (print publications, radio and TV broadcast). The long-term objective of this initiative is to build a permanent and sustainable infrastructure for community journalism in Eastern Coachella Valley that will serve as a source of local information for residents and policymakers alike.
Duties and responsibilities of the Beat Reporter/Assistant Editor in Eastern Coachella Valley will include but not be limited to:
- File at least one story per week (print articles or multimedia pieces) for publication on Coachella Unincorporated.
- Assist the Editor/Coordinator editorially with youth reporting cohort, as needed.
- Be available to field assignments from Coachella Unincorporated Project Coordinator on short notice — a “rapid responder” to cover breaking news or other time-sensitive content needs, as needed.
- Provide monthly progress report to Coachella Unincorporated Editor/Coordinator.
- Assist Coachella Unincorporated Editor/Coordinator in community engagement and developing local distribution strategies for media content, as needed.
- Content produced by Beat Reporter/Assistant Editor should focus on issues broadly defined under the scope of “community health” in Eastern Coachella Valley.
- Experience in journalism and/or media production and/or public relations & communication
- Familiarity with communities in and around Eastern Coachella Valley
- Familiarity with issues pertaining to community health in Eastern Coachella Valley
- Familiarity with print journalism, audio, video and photography production
- Familiarity with Final Cut Pro, and /or other digital editing tools
- Familiarity with social media tools
- Good writing skills
- Bilingual English/Spanish an asset
- Higher Education degrees are a plus but not required
$17,000/year, Part time
ESTIMATED START DATE:
January 6, 2014 (or sooner)
Submit resume to Brenda R. Rincon
Coachella Unincorporated Editor/Coordinator
DEADLINE TO APPLY:
December 13, 2007